This year the Rhythm Development Team have killed it. Between these 14 talented kids, they’ve achieved 33 1st places, been on podium 53 times and have shared more than 1,500 hours on snow this season.
From the beginning of the 2016 Australian Winter season we have welcomed to our team 4 new riders – Emily Champion, Hannah Jones, Oliver Merrett and Valentino Guseli – as well as welcoming back our fearless Nordic Jumper Paris McMahon from a near season-ending concussion. All of the Rhythm Development team have done so well this year, we are stoked to have every single one of them on our team. Check out the results from the 2016 Winter season:
EMILY CHAMPION - 15 years old.
Emily had a killer 2016 season. Emily finished the season with 1st place in the Div 2 Cross Country National Championships, an incredible achievement and well deserved too, with hours of training on and off the snow. Emily has an extremely professional manner and we think she is definitely one to watch over the next few years.
• 1st Div 2 XC National Championships
• 1st Div 2 NSW/ACT XC State Championships
• 1st Amelia McGuinness Time Trials
• 1st Australian Junior Sprint Championships
• 1st ACT Classic Sprint Championships
• 1st NSW U/16s Women’s Sprint Championships
BENTLEY WALKER–BROOSE – 15 years old.
Bentley is all about commitment which is clear if you follow his athlete's instagram page, always running or skiing to get the edge on his competition. With some absolutely stellar results this year he should be extremely proud!
• 1st Joey Hoppett
• 1st NSW/ACT Div2 XC State Championships
• 1st Snowy Mountains Classic
• 1st Australian Sprint Championships U/16 males
• 1st Australian Distance Championships U/16 makes
• 1st ACT Classic Sprint Championships
• 1st NSW Mens Sprint U/16s
• 2nd U/20s Mens 10k Skate
• 2nd Div 2 XC National Championships
PARIS MCMAHON – 14 years old.
Paris had a serious concussion before the ski season had even began but she wasn't going to let that stop her hitting the slopes, so with some caution she hit 2016 with everything she could. Paris is off to Steamboat to continue training over our Summer. Being Australia's only Nordic Combined Skier we can't wait to see her come back in full swing next season!
• 1st Div 3 XC Relay NSW/ACT State Championships
• 1st Div 3 XC Relay Australian Championships
• 23rd Div 3 XC State Championships
• 27th Div 3 XC Nationals Championships
HANNAH JONES – 11 years old.
Watching Hannah ski you would never think she was only 11 years old! Hannah competes in moguls and moguls is one of those events anyone who skis should see live, the skill of manoeuvring through the moguls is completely hypnotising then to make it harder they smash out a jump and land it. Hannah came off the back of a solid 2015 with all 1st's and 2nd's so was feeling the pressure going into 2016 but finished it off with 1st place in her Moguls division. She now goes into Summer looking forward to the Momentum Moguls Camp for 6 weeks in Canada.
• 1st Div 4 Moguls Australian Championships
• 2nd Perisher Junior Series U/14s youth Moguls
• 2nd Div 4 Moguls Southern NSW Regional Championships
• 5th Div 4 Moguls ACT/NSW State Championships
• 6th Thredbo Junior Series
• 7th ABOM Mogul Challenge U/14s youth
CADE ROBINSON – 16 years old.
There is no stopping Cade Robinson! This guy is a weapon in a flanno. We spent a day with him and Oliver Merrett in Perisher's Front Valley Park and they are a seriously talented duo who often share the podium.
• 1st Hotham Freeride Competition
• 1st Div 2 Ski Slopestyle National Championships
• 1st Div 2 Ski Slopestyle NSW State Championships
• 1st Thredbo Snow Series
OLIVER MERRETT – 16 years old.
Oliver Merrett shouldn't only be proud of his results this season but also his incredible attitude, we are so lucky here at Rhythm to be supporting athletes like Oliver who are so down to earth and friendly, such a good role model for the younger skiers.
• 3rd Hotham Freeride Competition
• 2nd Div 2 Ski Slopestyle NSW State Championships
• 3rd Thredbo Snow Series
• 4th Div 2 Ski Slopestyle National Championships
This Grom can shred.Valentino Guseli well and truly has the eyes of the snowboard industry on him and for good reason too. Just check out his instagram if you haven't heard of him because it won't be long until he is a household name. Definitely watch this space.
• 1st Div 4 GS National Championships
• 1st Div 4 GS State Championships
• 1st Div 4 BX National Championships
• 1st Australian Junior Titles – Slopestyle
• 1st Australian Junior Titles – BX
Coming off the back end of a knee reconstruction Georgia Crisp hit 2016 with no hesitation. Having the 2015 season off didn't slow her down coming first in the Thredbo Snow Series Rail Jam (Junior Womens) and a bunch of podium finishes. As a local Cooma girl we are stoked to have her on our Rhythm Development Team.
• 1st Thredbo Snow Series Rail Jam (Junior Womens)
• 2nd Div 1 Snowboard Slopestyle National Championships
• 2nd Div 1 BX National Championships
• 3rd Div 1 GS National Championships
First place in the Div 5 GS National Championships! She was coming third after the first run then smashed it in the second run where the other girls slowed down. What an achievement! Halle has had an awesome season snowboarding with her younger sister, mum and dad, entering competition after competition and if you have seen her instagram she met a few international boarders along the way.
• 1st Div 5 GS National Championships
• 1st Australian Junior Freeride Series - Halfpipe
• 2nd Australian Junior Freeride Championships – Slopestyle
• 3rd Australian Junior BX Championships
• 4th Thredbo Rail Jam Grom Division (14 years and under)
• 6th Div 5 BX National Championships
15th fastest girl in her division in Australia and she is in Kindergarten. She still has 4 more years in the division she is currently in. We're thinking the other girls in her division might be in some trouble... Marley snowboards most weekends with her mum, dad and older sister - hopefully they got a massive pool room for all the medals Marley and Halle are collecting. These two blonde bombshells are just getting started!
• 3rd Northern NSW Interschools GS
• 4th Nothern NSW Interschools BX
• 12th NSW Interschools GS
THE MCRAE TEAM
Not only are Halle and Marley sisters who board together, they compete together! Just quietly they smashed it...
• 1st Northern NSW Interschools BX
• 1st Northern NSW Interschools GS
• 3rd NSW Interschools GS
• 2nd Australian National Interschools GS
Kasey Kelley and her sister Chelsee are another sister duo making some waves in the Australian snowboarding scene. Already sponsored by Rhythm and Roxy, Kasey is getting better and better every year.
• 3rd Thredbo Snow Series Rail Jam (Junior Womens)
• 4th Div 3 GS National Championships
• 7th Div 3 BX National Championships
The other half of the Kelley team! Chelsee may be younger but sister but is a force to be reckoned with. Rubbing shoulders with superstars like Silje Norendal it is safe to safe Chelsee had an awesome 2016 season.
• 1st Div 5 BX National Championships
• 1st ACT Schools Cup
• 1st Australian Junior BX Championships
• 1st Knox Pymble Cup
• 2nd Div 5 GS National Championships
Jesse is another Rhythm Rider with a serious following in the Australian snowboarding industry. You can't miss Jesse on the slopes he has the biggest smile at the resort!
• 1st Div 4 QLD State Championships
• 2nd Thredbo Junior Big Air
• 2nd Australian Junior BX Championships
• 2nd Transfer Banked Slalom Thredbo
• 3rd Thredbo Junior Snow Series
• 3rd Thredbo U/14s Slopestyle
• 3rd Australian Junior Slopestyle Titles
Mia has an awesome season with some solid results. After training with Team Tahoe out of Squaw Valley in CA she came back to Australia to keep training and build on her technique. Mia is quietly determined and really dedicated.
• 2nd Knox Pymble Race
• 3rd SSA BX Australian Nationals Grom 2 Girls
• 4th Div 3 BX Nationals Championships
• 5th Div 3 GS National Championships
• 4th SSA FIS ANC BX - Grom 2
• 3rd ACT citizens race - Under 18 Womens
Jye is a different story to our other groms. Moving away from competition and into the backcountry. He started the year with 7 weeks in Japan hiking and riding backcountry with Taro Tamai and the Gentemstick riders to test new snowsurf board shapes for Gentemstick. He then went on to have 2 weeks with Gerry Lopez and Taro Tamai river surfing and snowsurfing in Oregon participating in the Gerry Lopez Big Wave Challenge at Mt. Bachelor. He finally got back to Australia for our snow season, riding some backcountry (keep an eye out on instagram for his video edit) and participating in the Transfer Banked Slalom at Thredbo. I know what you're thinking... what a life! But Jye works super hard and we couldn't be more stoked for him! With some of the biggest brands in the industry backing him, he'll just get better and better. Off again to Japan to end 2016 we wish Jye all the best!
We are so proud of each of our riders, their commitment, attitude and talent amaze us each time they hit the slopes!
For tips on your Snow Sport equipment stay in touch with us:facebook/rhythmsnowsports